February is National American Heart Month AND National Snack Food Month. Heart Month is celebrated to motivate Americans to adopt healthy lifestyles to prevent heart disease. Focusing on your heart health has never been more important. People with poor cardiovascular health are also at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19. President Biden’s Proclamation on Heart Month 2021 addresses heart disease as a leading cause of death in the U.S. and the ongoing fight to protect our hearts.
And in honor of Snack Food Month we have some healthy snack ideas for your heart!
Munchies That Crunch
- Roasted chickpeas
- Rice cakes and whole grain crackers
- Nuts and seeds
- Apples, pears, carrots, celery
Rethink Your Drink
- Plain or sparkling water
- Fat-free milk or soymilk
- Unsweetened tea or coffee
Snacks That Satisfy – if you’re feeling a bit more hungry
- Whole grain toast with nut butter
- Fruit and veggie smoother
- Cherry tomatoes with hummus
- Low fat or fat free cheese
Curb Your Sweet Tooth
- Baked apple
- Canned fruit in natural juice or syrup
- Thin slice of angel food cake
- Fresh fruit salad
Snacking is good in moderation – be cautious of your heart when making snacky decisions!